The only museum in the country dedicated to exhibiting and interpreting the art of the Spanish colonial period including Hispanic New Mexico. The Museum houses an incredible collection of over 3700 pieces, including historically significant and contemporary works. The building itself, a Pueblo Revival-style building, was designed by renowned architect John Gaw Meem in 1930.
The purpose of the education programs at the Museum of Spanish Colonial Art is to promote, preserve, encourage, and educate the public about the study of the Spanish colonial arts and its related cultures and living traditions. The Society’s museum and onsite collection serve as the center and basis of the educational programs.
The Spanish Colonial Arts Society was founded in Santa Fe in 1925 by writer Mary Austin and artist/writer Frank G. Applegate. Its purpose was to preserve and perpetuate the Hispano art forms that have been produced in New Mexico and southern Colorado since the region was colonized by Spain in 1598, and to educate the public about these art forms and the art of all the Spanish colonies.
Our Current Exhibits
The Spanish Colonial Arts Society announces the largest permanent gift of Peruvian art in its 88-year history. An exhibition of the gift items will open to the public June 22, 2013. The exhibition will include a permanent gift of 40 objects from Peru, as well as a number of objects from other countries collected by Pedro Gerardo Beltrán Espantoso, Peru’s Ambassador to the United States (1944-45) and Prime Minister of Peru (1959-1961), and his wife, Miriam Kropp Beltrán.